The Smile China Project aims to provide specialized surgical, medical and health care services to children affected with facial deformities in poor developing areas all over the world, primarily within the People's Republic of China.
Smile China 2009 Team List:
- Dr. Joseph K. Wong, Team leader, facial plastic surgeon, Toronto, Founder Smile China
- Dr. Sydney Reimer, MD, Vice-Chair, Smile China, Toronto
- Ms. Cecilia Cheng, RN, Medical director, Smile China, Mississauga
- Dr. Jonathan Sykes, Professor, facial plastic surgeon, Sacramento, USA
- Dr. Wilson Dewes, Professor, facial plastic surgeon, Lajeado, Brazil
- Dr. Travis Tollefson, Assoc. Professor, facial plastic surgeon, Sacramento, USA
- Dr. Kikuo Kozono, Professor, plastic surgery, Japan
- Dr. Ben Marcus, Assoc. Professor, facial plastic surgeon, Wisconsin, USA
- Dr. Kal Ansari, Assoc. Professor, facial plastic surgeon, Edmonton
- Dr. Mario Ferraz, Assoc. Professor, facial plastic surgeon, Brazil
- Dr. Jimmy Yue-Wai Chan, Professor, plastic surgery, University of Hong Kong
- Dr. Heath Stacey, Fellow facial plastic surgery, Wisconsin, USA
- Dr. Michelle Roeser, Resident facial plastic surgery, Minnesota, USA
- Dr. Lu Souchang, Oral-maxillofacial surgeon, Lanzhou, China
- Dr. Lv Jingling, Professor, plastic surgeon, Shanghai, China
- Dr. Li Dong, Professor, plastic surgeon, Nanning, China
- Dr. Wang Danru, Assoc. Professor, plastic surgeon, Shanghai, China
- Dr. Tuan Pham, facial plastic surgeon, Australia
- Dr. Gaye Quan, DDS, dentist, Toronto
- Dr. Laura Hetzler, MD. California, USA
- Dr. Flora Rafii, MD. California, USA
- Ms. May Siu Man Pui, director Smile China- China Office, Shanghai, China
- Ms. Jiana He, OR nurse, Mississauga, Canada
- Ms. Sharone Moldvan, OR nurse, Mississauga, Canada
- Mr. David Warry Smith, director and film maker, Toronto
- Mr. Peter Chi-Ming Yip, photographer.
Smile China's 2005 team includes the following people:
1) Dr. Joseph Wong ( Team leader )
Dr. Wong is the founder of the Smile China project. He is a staff surgeon and Divison Chief, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Credit Valley Hospital. Program Director of the Head & Neck Surgery- Facial Plastic Surgery Program at Credit Valley Hospital, Peel Regional Cancer Centre. Currently he is Canadian Regional Director of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Immediate Past President of the Canadian Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Founding Director of the International FEDERATION of Facial Plastic Surgery Societies, and is on the Editorial Board of the Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.
2) Dr. Ted Allen Cook
Director of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Director of Fellowship Program in Facial
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Departments of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery and
Dermatology, Oregon Health Sciences University,
3) Dr. Lawrence Joseph Marentette
Professor, Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery,
University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
4) Dr. Travis Tate Tollefson
Dr Travis Tate Tollefson is a surgeon and Assistant Professor of the Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery program of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery at the University of California-Davis Medical Centre.
5) Dr. Benjamin Carl Marcus
Dr Benjamin Marcus is a surgeon and Assistant Professor of the Facial Plastic Surgery Program of the Department of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Suergery of the University of Wisconsin.
6) Dr. Steven George Shimotakahara
Dr Shimotakahara is an otolaryngologist-head & neck surgeon in Coors Bay, Oregan
7) Dr. Jitendra Ignatius Athayde
Dr Athayde is a staff anesthesiologist at Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga, Ontario.
8) Ms. Cecilia Sui Hung Cheng
Ms Cecilia Sui Hung Cheng is an operating room nurse at Credit Valley Hospital. ( Medical Director Smile China )
9) Ms. Katheline Roxanne Bruce
Ms Katheline Roxanne Bruce is an operating room nurse at Credit Valley Hospital.
10) Ms. Linda Anne Sims
Ms Linda Anne Sims is an operating room nurse at Credit Valley Hospital.
11) Arthur Hideki Uyeyama and
12) Kevin Timothy Dimitroff
Both work in the media department of Credit Valley Hospital. Arthur is the director of this department and they are responsible for photography/videography and documentation of the Smile China Project.
13) Dr. Sidney Reimer
Vice Chair of Smile China
14) Mrs. May Siu
Canadian trained nurse now living in Shanghai.
does it again!
We gratefully acknowledge the generosity of the Mandarin Restaurant Franchise Corporation for its " 1 child per Mandarin location" sponsorship of this year's mission. This means that Mandarin's contribution of $21,000 will fund life-changing surgeries for 21 children.
Thank you !
Letter from The Honourable Dalton McGuinty
Premier of Ontario